Thursday, January 8, 2009

Faith like a trampoline or a brickwall?

"Somebody recently gave me a videotape of a lecture given by a man who travels
around speaking about the creation of the world. At one point in his lecture, he
said if you deny that God created the world in six literal twenty-four-hour
days, then you are denying that Jesus ever died on the cross. It's a bizarre
leap of logic to make, I would say.

But he was serious.

It hit me while I was watching that for him faith isn't a trampoline; it's a
wall of bricks. Each of the core doctrines for him is like an idividual brick
that stacks on top of the others. If you pull one out, the whole wall starts to
crumble. It appears quite strong and rigid, but if you begin to rethink or
descuss even one brick, the whole thing is in danger. Like he said, no six-day
creation equals no cross. Remove one, and the whole wall wobbles
....
What if [one] spring [or doctrine] was seriously questioned? Could a person
keep jumping? Could a person still love God? Could you still be a
Christian?...if the whole faith falls apart when we reexamine and rethink one
spring, then it wasn't that strong in the first place, was
it?
...
Somebody showed me a letter from the president of a large seminary
who is raising money to help him train leaders who will defend Christianity. The
letter went on about the desperate need for defense of the true faith. What
disturbed me was the defensive posture of the letter, which reflects one of the
things that happens in brickworld: you spend a lot of time talking about how
right you are. Which of course leads to how wrong everybody else is. Which then
leads to defending the wall. It struck me reading the letter that you rarely
defend a trampoline. You invite people to jump on it with you.

I am far more interested in jumping than I am in arguing about whose
trampoline is better.
"

-Rob Bell in Velvet Elvis: Repainting the Christian Faith

This is from an older book by Rob Bell, which is pretty amazing. His analogies make sense of a lot of things. I just got his new book entitled Jesus wants to save Christians: A Manifesto for the Church in Exile. Definitely check this guy out if you're into this kind of stuff...or even if you aren't. haha.

1 comment:

  1. I love this. I love Rob Bell and all of his work, but especially this. This seriously spoke to me and I have become quite attached to this portion of his book. I'm so happy you posted this particular excerpt from Velvet Elvis. It just made my night :-)

    Oh, and as for your next post, I haven't seen that movie, but sure as heck wanted to! Can't wait for it to be at UD!

    ReplyDelete